Thursday, October 23, 2014

Magpie Tales: To Flame, Moth Mother



To Flame, Moth Mother

Like a moth to flame you approached;
Too near.  Too close, you were singed and your wings
seared.

Too much, in retreat you bent
back your wings into the dusk of dark trees
and extinguished your own dwindling flame

Another light replaces yours while you flicker
in a darkness plagued by regret,
perhaps one day to venture again
into a new bright light.

© Gerry at Strummed Words

Visit Magpie Tales for poetry and prose using the picture prompt.

5 comments:

elaine said...

Interesting that you wrote about a moth which was what I thought the stone said - then I thought perhaps it was a pets name and was going to write about a pets cemetery and a beloved pet called Moth - when I looked further and found it read Mother it threw me a little.

Tess Kincaid said...

I like that you went with "Moth"...nice write...

rel said...

You've represented the circle of life perfectly.

Anita Sabat said...

Nicely shared. A Moth's story well-told...
I went with Mother for the pic-prompt :)

Strummed Words said...

I changed the title, dear readers, so that the poem fits the picture and vice versa. It still works...

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape