Sunday, February 17, 2013

Magpie Tales: This Old House

Wind of History by Jacek Yerka
Join Magpie Tales for poetry, short vignettes inspired by the weekly photo prompt.

This old man, he played one,
He played knick-knack on my thumb;
With a knick-knack paddywhack,
Give the dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.
(origins of the song are unknown, from Wikipedia)


This Old House


This old house, it felt old
Dark and lonely and too cold,
Like a wind tossed ship on a dreary sea
It is no home or refuge for me.


- Gerry@Strummed Words



18 comments:

LLM Calling said...

brilliant, I love that I could sing this

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha!

Yvonne Osborne said...

I like what you did with this! Who doesn't remember that old rhyme? It seems water is a prevailing theme with this prompt which I find interesting as there is no water in the painting.

Laurie Kolp said...

I love it!!

Gail said...

Short, sweet, sad

Jinksy said...

I reckon it could be arranged as a round to sing! :-)

Kathe W. said...

good one- except NOW I have that tune rattling around in my head!

Tess Kincaid said...

I sang along!

Bo said...

This is brilliant! I loved it.

Tumblewords: said...

Excellent - I could hum it!

Sueann said...

"no home or refuge" nicely said.'
Hugs
SueAnn

Helen said...

.. this old man he played two ~~
nice!!

Margaret said...

fun ... but I hope the tune doesn't haunt me all day :)

Susan Anderson said...

Of course, I sang it...

=)

Susie Clevenger said...

Love it...and yes I sang it.

Dave King said...

Stunning.

Unknown said...

I guess I never really knew what a paddywhack was! Fun visit.

21 Wits said...

Bravo! I really enjoyed this- and never would have guessed how well it all went together!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape