Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Conversation of Birds

Waking, Walking, Singing, in the Next Dimension? 1979 by Morris Graves

I have spoken to birds as a child, 
inviting them from their high perches
to land nearby where eyes
could see what my ears received, 
songs and messages that flew
through the air, its creators hidden in foliage
thick with green leaves of camouflage. 

And as an adult, I have heard them talk to me,
often in reprimand as in their dimension,
I rearranged their order and routine.
The poignancy of their sharp messages
of my flawed perceptions
was my genuine surprise.


- Gerry, Strummed Words

 Visit Magpie Tales for more poetry and prose using the picture prompt.

14 comments:

Kathe W. said...

love the last three lines- I too have heard their sharp messages!
Enjoy your day!

Berowne said...

Keenly observant and insightful...

Tess Kincaid said...

Beautiful, you bird whisperer, you...

Laurie Kolp said...

I have a special relationship with birds, too.

Michael said...

a brilliant glimpse into a thoughtful watcher

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful =) I talked to birds as well as I child, I remember once when very small I stood very still (I thought I was) hoping that a bird would land on me and when a bunch of birds flew near I ran away. Now days I still talk to them because they are always tripping me I have never known birds that don't fly away when you are so close here I have to constantly watch the ground because they don't pay me any mind at all

Kodjo Deynoo said...

As an adult I have heard them talk to me..I like this line

Truedessa said...

This is insightful, birds often are a symbol of wisdom..

Susan Lindquist said...

This is such a great take on bird 'language' ... we hear things differently over the course of time, don't we?

Loved Tess's comment ... bird-whisperer, indeed!

Unknown said...

I"ll have to step outside to see if they will speak to me as well!

Helen said...

Gerry, this is lovely.

Nana Jo said...

Your poem sung to me in the language of birds. Thank you.

Kathe W. said...

I too have had conversations with birds and also listened to their squabbles and chirps with each other. Love poem -and thanks for visiting my blog! Cheers!-

Truedessa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape